Last Kiss In Venice (Legend of the White Snake #1) by Martin Chu Shui

Last Kiss In Venice - Martin Chu Shui
This is an ancient tale from China, remolded into today's world with a bit of a twist. Our two main characters met in a previous time but separated due to the nature of their beings. However, a promise was made that if he ever met her again he would marry her. Skip forward to the present time and he meets her by a bridge in Venice. For me, this was the worst part of the book as it was "love at first sight". While I understand that this is a continuation of what they previously felt it also just felt a bit too much like today's culture, get it fast. I'm more of an old-fashioned romantic and like it when they spend time getting to know each other, but that's just me.

Our main female, Caitlin, is a strong and compassionate "woman" who tries to help people wherever she can. She has an inner strength that is both charming and innocent whilst also being more than capable of protecting herself and her loved ones.

Our second female, Alice, is more gutsy. She doesn't have a problem with killing although she does try to restrain herself on Caitlin's request. As far as she is concerned if they are out to do her wrong and she kills them, they won't come back to try it again. She is a very good friend / sister to Caitlin although her moods regarding Charlie were starting to give me whiplash.

As for Charlie himself, he is actually quite a minor player in this book; I'm not sure how much of a role he has in the actual legend. I actually agree with most of Alice's opinions regarding him but can also see the goodness and love that Caitlin sees in him.

This is a fast-paced book which is not too heavy and is a pleasure to read. If you enjoy a romance and have an interest in the Chinese way of life and /or ancient Chinese mythology then I think you will enjoy this book.

Recommended.

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: http://archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.de/2016/07/review-by-merissa-last-kiss-in-venice.html