Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy #1) by Nichole Chase

Mortal Obligation: Book One of the Dark Betrayal Trilogy - Nichole Chase
This is a brilliant book and for FREE too!!! Be warned though, that after you've read this, you'll probably have to go and put the other two on your wishlist as I have!!

If you've ever watched an episode of Buffy and enjoyed it, then I think that you will love this book. The Dark Ones are very Buffy-esque which is not a bad thing. And there is a scooby gang of them, instead of just one pair.

Ree is an artistically favoured girl with a small group of friends who has been classed as 'strange' for most of her life. One night changes her outlook on strange and also her friends too.

This book deals with finding out, and dealing with, the legacy to which she and her friends were born. I loved how it wasn't just one set of Gods involved but also ones that are not so well known (Amaterasu, the Japanese Sun Goddess).

Ree as a character is brilliant. She is the one that is the most vulnerable but paradoxically, the one with the most power. I loved how she was not prepared to sit back and let everyone fight for her.

As for the other characters - the friends are brilliant and I loved how they all interacted with each other. They certainly do balance each other out. As for Roland and Paden, be still my beating heart. How is a girl supposed to choose between them? I have no idea but I'm looking forward to reading A LOT more about those two :D

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for all fans of Buffy and the fantasy/paranormal world.

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: http://archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.de/2016/07/review-by-merissa-mortal-obligation.html