Blood and Loss (Cassandra Myles, Witch #1) by Electa Graham

Blood and Loss - Electa Graham
The positives of this book are plentiful in number - the storyline is a good one, the pace is fast and punchy, the characters are well rounded and mostly likeable. You are kept guessing at various points ABOUT various things which all in all makes it into a page turner.

The biggest negative for me was the 'relationships' that Cass had, and not just the male ones. When all the drama happens at the beginning of the book, it is her best friend, Lena, that is the one that stays by her, comforts her and basically saves her life. Now, I know that it was Lena who herself predicted that Cass wouldn't see her for a while but I wasn't expecting Cass to completely FORGET about her! Which, in my book, basically sucks! And then there is the relationship between Cass and the males in her life - Quintus, Lucius and Declan. To put it bluntly, I was getting whiplash over which one of these guys she was in love/lust with. And although I like a good steamy section as much as the next person, I was actually getting a bit bored with it. She would literally walk away from Lucius and Quintus and then be having sex with Declan.

The ending felt quite rushed too. The whole book builds up to this big climax (pardon the pun) and it's over and done with in a couple of pages and off you have to pop to buy the next book. I like cliffhanger endings but not when you feel like you're pushed over the edge instead of being allowed to teeter on it for a while.

On the whole an enjoyable read with some funny moments. Add a bit of steam and there you go. Not sure about getting the rest though.

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!