Necromancist (Seven Forbidden Arts #6) by Charmaine Pauls

Necromancist (The Seven Forbidden Arts Book 6) - Charmaine Pauls
Necromancist is the sixth book in the Seven Forbidden Arts series. You could read it as a standalone, but you will definitely get more from it if you have read the others. There is an overall story arc which gives you extra information on characters and situations.

Now, onto the book itself. This review is hard for me to write, mainly because I'm afraid it will come out sounding all whingy and whiney, which is not my intention at all. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I do find it to be a wonderful addition to the series. However, there were parts of it that I didn't like very much... and I'm not entirely sure why. Let me explain.

Ivan and Alice are both broken individuals. Broken by time, by associations, by events. They are both pretending that everything is ok in their own way. Alice by 'doing her job' the best way she can, and Ivan by becoming a rock star, albeit an eccentric one for reasons only he knows. When these two meet, it is explosive! The heat between them is instantaneous, and a follow on from how it used to be. They both have issues with each other, and how their relationship ended the first time.

The thing for me is they never really discussed this, so it just festers between them. The only time it is mentioned is as a preview to sex between them. Now the sex is also hot, but there is a lot of 'possession' and 'pain' involved. This is the bit that I'm really unsure of, because I've read "Dark" books, with Alpha Males, BDSM, even dub con, and it's never bothered me. Something about Alice and her need for pain though, I don't know...

Anyway, moving on. The story itself I thoroughly enjoyed! Learning more about Cain, seeing the rest of the team, and meeting a character who I presume will be in the next book, was brilliant. After a surprise part of the story, I can honestly say that I enjoyed it more.

This book was very well written, with no editing or grammatical errors to disrupt the reading flow. As I have previously said, it's a great addition to the series, and I have no hesitation in recommending it as I feel the issues I had were specifically that - my issues!

* I was gifted a copy of this book *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: http://archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.de/2016/10/release-blitz-reviews-necromancist.html