Deep Blue Secret (The Water Keepers #1) by Christie Anderson

Deep Blue Secret, 2nd Edition  - Christie Anderson
I love finding Marmite books - books that divide opinion, you either love them or hate them. I have found some amazing books (to me) this way, which is why I prefer to read them myself rather than taking someone else's review as gospel. However, I find myself in the position of agreeing with some of the lower rated reviews for Deep Blue Secret.

We start off with our young female lead, Sophie. She is complaining to herself about being (what sounds like) a normal teenager, with mood swings, depression, etc. She is supposed to be someone that everyone likes, and is prettier than she realises, but I just had trouble believing this. Once you get into the plot, there are a lot of unresolved issues that may well be sorted out in future books. However, for myself, there is simply too much for this book. I like SOME of the loose ends tied up before moving on.

The big bad - he escapes from somewhere, and returns back to his son. You're not sure why he's been imprisoned in the first place. He makes a vague reference to something being surgically implanted in his chest. He is after Sadie, but is she just a convenient means to an end, or is there something about her specifically?

The Water Keepers themselves - they can heal people with their special water. Why? Who chooses?

Sadie turns out to "malfunctioning" - seriously? No explanation is given why (once again) although this could be a reason that is forthcoming. However, this malfunction turns her into a whiny, whinging, annoying person with an abundance on internal monologues. She gets given a necklace and told how important it is that she doesn't take it off. A couple of pages later, she has taken it off because she is mad at a boy. No explanation was given though of why this necklace is important, or just how it will help her malfunctions, so I guess I can't altogether blame her.

Basically, there is a lot of nothing that goes on this book. What does happen is confusing. This maybe the book to get you hooked into the series, but for myself, it just didn't work. However, like I said at the beginning, this IS a Marmite book, so you really should find out for yourself and not take my word for it. You might really enjoy it, but it just wasn't for me.

* Verified Purchase - February 2013 *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!
Source: http://archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.de/2016/10/review-by-merissa-deep-blue-secret.html