Water (Akasha #1) by Terra Harmony

Water - Terra Harmony
Have you ever read a book that you really wanted to like, but upon reading it discovered that you really didn't? Well, Water, which is book one of the Akasha series, is one of those books for me. There are so many elements (yes, pun intended) to this book that I should like, but somehow it just doesn't work for me. In the synopsis, it says about the earth's survival resting upon her shoulders, but that is only alluded to in the story. There can only be one Gaia at a time, but apart from the fact that Kaitlyn is strong and powerful, nothing else is mentioned.

Kaitylin is our main female, and a more contrary female, liable to give you whiplash, you will never meet. She is supposed to be in her early twenties, but behaves like a child. Micah is one of the main males, and her "protector". I use speech marks because if he is my protector, then I'll do without, thanks, and take my chances. He is someone also likely to give you whiplash as he strives to be a strong, silent type. Shawn is probably the best character as he is evil, and supposed to be, and yet no one else can see it. There is a lot to this book, and like I said, I REALLY wanted to like it. I don't even mind a rape scene, so long as it is integral to the story and well written. However, with a simulated rape scene, followed by a couple of real rape scenes, it was just too much. It was like it was there for shock value, rather than to make the story move along. Yes, I feel sorry for Kaitlyn in these scenes, and yes, I can perfectly understand her anger towards Micah (she's not angry at Shawn though, she just wants to escape!), but it really didn't do much for the story itself at all.

That all being said, I would say that this is well written, although a bit long-winded whilst also 'jumping'. There were no editing or grammatical errors to disrupt the reading flow. I definitely believe this is a 'marmite' book. You will either love it or hate it, with no middle ground. I personally can't recommend it.

* Verified Purchase - March 2013 *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!
Source: http://sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/merissa-reviews/waterakasha1byterraharmony