The Du Lac Chronicles (The Du Lac Chronicles #1) by Mary Anne Yarde

The Du Lac Chronicles - Mary Anne Yarde

This is a young adult, historical romance, set after Arthur and Lancelot. Alden is Lancelot's son and, at eighteen years of age, is King of Cerniw. However, he is King in name only as he has just had his fortress and country razed by Cedric. The story starts with him tied to a whipping post, facing death and generally not in the best of health! Annis is Cedric's daughter and makes the decision to save him, for reasons that you learn about as the story progresses.

Full of action, chases, betrayal and mystery, this is a wonderful story that will keep you on your toes as you try to figure out just who will do what next.

If I had anything negative to say, it would be that Alden and Annis both change their minds so often, it gets both hard to follow and also a tad monotonous. Basically, both of them love each other, neither thinks they are good enough, and both try to do 'the right thing' - even to the detriment of their own feelings. This is just a small part of the larger story though, so it doesn't distract too much.

All in all, this was an epic historical saga with well-rounded characters and situations. Well written, with no editing or grammatical errors that I found, I would have no hesitation in recommending this.

* I received this book from the author in return for a fair and honest review. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!