Hell & High Water (THIRDS #1) by Charlie Cochet

Hell & High Water - Charlie Cochet
Hell & High Water is the first book in the THIRDS series by Charlie Cochet. It starts with Dex putting his work partner behind bars for shooting a Therian in the back in cold blood. Of course, this doesn't go down very well with others in the police force so he gets beaten up for his trouble on more than one occasion. He also gets shunted out of his job into a new one with the Therian force, called a promotion to help it go down easier. When he gets there, he realises that his new team is in trouble, and he has some big boots to fill. This is also whilst they have an ongoing investigation, plus the tensions within the team.

This book had me laughing out loud with Dex's comments and snark, whilst in the next breath, my heart was breaking for him/them/her (whichever one of the team that was being spoken about). Although Dex could be called high maintenance, his humour is his shield and he wields it with precision! He has a brain and eyes, and isn't afraid to use them - seeing connections and things that others are trying to hide. There isn't a lot of unnecessary drama with Dex, the drama that is there is usually for a reason. Sloane doesn't want a new partner, but is on his last warning. To his surprise, Dex is accepted by most of the team quicker than he would have thought possible. To his dismay, he finds that he also likes him, although he doesn't want to.

This book is excellently written, and will draw you in as you stay with Dex as he goes through everything. The pace is smooth throughout, building up to the climax that will leave you breathless. Full of emotions, whether they are 'good' or 'bad', as a reader you will experience a whole gamut of them. There were no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow. Highly recommended, and I can't wait to continue with this series.

* Verified Purchase ~ April 2017 *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!
Source: http://sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/merissa-reviews/thirdsseries1-9bycharliecochet