Fire (Underground Encounters #2) by Lisa Carlisle

Fire - Lisa Carlisle
Fire is the second book in the Underground Encounters series, and is the first full-length book. This is Maya's story, and we start with her returning to Vamps a year after the explosion. We find out that Nike never returned, and is in Europe somewhere with Michel, leaving Maya with a nugget of resentment towards her friend, and the man who took her away. When she is in Vamps, she catches the eye of the new owner, who appears to have his own gifts that are different to Michel's. The spark quickly turns into flames when these two get together, but they both have secrets that they are hiding.

I think the thing I loved about this book is that Maya still kicks ass, even though she is hurting. Yes, she feels resentment towards her best friend, and yes, I would too. Things burn hot and fast between Tristan and Maya, helping to take her mind off Nike. However, things that burn that hot often burn out, as both Tristan and Maya find out, although in this case, it's because Tristan tries to do Maya's thinking for her, making decisions that affect her without getting her input.

For saying this is a paranormal book, there are many instances that are 'normal' - the lingering resentment (even when Nike turns up), taking the time to get to know someone, opposites attracting, friendship - I could go on. All of the things I have mentioned are completely natural and not covered up in any way.

I would say that you are best to read Nike's story first, as a big part of the storyline involves her and the circumstances around her departure. That is only a short read though, that will leave you wanting more. Fire fulfils that want, giving you more of Nike's story, as well as leaving plenty of Maya. Once again, no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow, and with a smooth pace, with plenty of heat. This was a great addition, and I look forward to reading more in this series. Definitely recommended by me.

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: http://sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/merissa-reviews/undergroundencounters12darknessrisingchateauseductions05bylisacarlisle